The Somerset & Dorset Railway
Somerset & Dorset Railway
The Somerset & Dorset Railway is located in Midsomer Norton.
Regular passenger trains started running at the site in October of 2010. I highly recommend a visit to the site as there a lot going on there at the moment!
The best time to visit would be on a Sunday or Monday.
Recently completed is a 1/4 mile extension towards Chillcompton as well as an Engineering Siding.
The line has two locomotives, a Vertical Boiler’d 0-4-0 Sentinel similar to the type used for shunting at Radstock and an English Electric 0-6-0 Diesel shunter named David. J Cook.
The line has it’s own workshop facility’s housed in the old Goods Shed, upon visiting the site, you are likely to see lots of Rolling stock in certain stages of Restoration, as-well as recently restored vehicles!
Well, of course the line is still being rebuilt, which means there is still a good lot of work on nearly 2 miles of track! A new 1/4 mile extention is now being built and a Huddswell Clarke 0-6-0T is being restored at Henstridge Airfield. It is hoped that it will be running regularly in 2011!
Operating days: Regular Train services are set to recommence from Easter.
- Volunteers Weekend: April 28th & 29th
- Take a Teddy: May 26th & 27th
- Midsummer at Midsomer: June 23rd & 24th
- Heritage Open days: September 8th & 9th
- Railways & Radios/1940s?: Sept 22nd & 23rd
- Santa at the Station: Dec 15th & 16th
Other operating dates:
- May 6th & 13th
- June 3rd, 10th & 17th
- July 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd & 29th
- August 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th & 27th
- September 2nd, 16th & 30th
- December 22nd
Line Length: 1/2 a mile.
- Sentinel 0-4-0 vertical boilered steam loco (Not in service, under restoration)
- English electric 0-6-0DH No.D1120 David. J Cook
- 2 car class 108 DMU
- BR Class 08 0-6-0DE No.D4095
Midsomer Norton Station track plan:
- Car Park
- Station Building
- Signal Box
- View points
- Open wagon outside Museum
- Goods platform outside seating area for Buffet
- Buffet Car
- Locomotive shed
- Box wagon next to Platform 1
- Pill-Box (WWII Museum)
- Garden areas
Here is a video taken at the 2011 Midsummer at Midsomer event!