The Swindon & Cricklade Railway
THE SWINDON & CRICKLADE RAILWAY
THE SWINDON & CRICKLADE RAILWAY was once part of the Midland & South Western Junction Railway that connected Cheltenham to Andover. It was opened from Swindon to Cirencester in 1883 and throughout in 1891. The line closed to passengers on the 11th September 1961.
The Swindon & Cricklade Railway Society was formed in 1978, thus 2008 was the Railway’s 30th Anniversary. All that remained of the original railway was the trackbed – everything you see has been brought to the site by road, rebuilt and operated by volunteers. Reconstruction of the railway is an ongoing process and new recruits are always welcome.
There are steam and diesel locomotives, historic carriages, wagons and many railway structures from the past. Our locomotive shed at Hayes Knoll Station is open to visitors where you will see large scale restorations taking place. Other facilities include the Norwegian catering carriage, souvenir shop, picnic areas and Railway Museum.
There is also a fully designated walk/trail at Hayes Knoll, which takes about an hour to walk (See www.tarastrails.co.uk/hayesknoll.htm)
2011 sees the railway running public passenger services along the new 1 mile extension towards Mouldon Hill!
This was opened during the railways extraordinary GWR 175 celebrations!
In 2008, the new half mile track extension from Hayes Knoll to South Meadow Lane was opened. Future plans are to extend southwards to the proposed new Country Park at Mouldon Hill (off Thamesdown Drive), where there will be a new station, and to extend further northwards from South Meadow Lane, with new stations at Farfield Lane and Cricklade. We hope to be in Mouldon Hill by mid 2011.
(Text courtsey of the S&CR)
Operating days: weekends from March to september.
Line Length: 2 1/2 miles.
- GWR 56XX 0-6-2T No.5637 (On long-term loan to the East Somerset Railway)
- Huddswell Clarke 0-6-0T No.70 Phoenix (Out for overhaul)
- Huddswell Clarke 0-6-0ST Slough Estates No.3
- Andrew Barclay 0-6-0ST Salmon
- Fowler 0-4-0DM No.21442 Woodbine
- Fowler 0-4-0DM No.FB7342
- Class 207 Thumper No.207203
- BR Class 03 0-6-0DM no.03 002
- BR(s) Class 73 Bo-Bo electro-diesel No.E 6003 Sir Herbert Walker
- Fowler 0-4-0DH No.4220031
Track plan of Blunsdon Station:
- Car Park
- Outside Seating area next to small lake
- Stock that is waiting to be restored
- River Ray
- Extention being built towards Swindon (Mouldon Hill)
- Model Railway
- Norwegian catering coach
- Norwegian dining Coach
- Gift Shop
- Platform (Now extended as shown in plan)
- Waiting room
- Water Tower
- Signal Box
- Road Bridge
- Tadpole Lane