Paddle Steamer Kingswear Castle
The Kingswear Castle was built by Philip & Son’s of Dartmouth in 1924 for the Great Western Railway. Operating the Ferry boat service on the River Dart from Kingswear Station to Dartmouth. The service still operates today in Conjunction with the Torbay Railway, but with modern Foot-ferry’s!
She was the third Paddle Steamer built for the job, all operated by the River Dart Steamboat co. the two others named Totnes Castle and Compton Castle.
In 1965, she was withdrawn and was the first purchase by the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society.
It took a lot of work to get her steaming again, & she returned to service in 1985.
She is now operated by the The Paddle Steamer Kingswear Castle Trust and resides at Chatham Historic Dockyard, and operates on the River Medway and Thames Estuary.
She is the only Coal fired Paddle Steamer in Preservation, all others are Oil fired.
Her Engine is a two cylinder Reciprocating Steam Engine built by Cox & Co. at Falmouth.